Cheers to the first skin care post on the blog! LizMargaret is all about finding our confidence and wholeness in God by building our faith. Caring for the body He gave us is also a great way to improve our confidence and live strong, healthy lives.
If you know me, you know I love discovering new ways to care for my skin. I have combination skin (mostly dry with an oily T-zone), so finding products that work for me can be challenging. I sometimes struggle with dryness, hyperpigmentation, and random breakouts.
After months of trying out several skin care lines, I’ve finally found a routine that works for my combination skin. By incorporating natural skin care products and keeping a consistent morning and night routine, my skin has improved and maintained its health over time.
Note: While this post looks long, it’s a quick read! I provide a brief overview on various skin care products and tips that I’ve learned. If you’re looking to tweak your skin care routine and are tired of searching through product reviews, this article is for you.
Keep reading for information and links to the products as well as a YouTube video where I explain how I use them!
My Top Skin Care Products:
Facial Cleansing Brush
- Gently cleanses skin of dirt and bacteria
- Everyday use
- Easy to clean, replaceable brush heads
Vanity Planet Spin for Perfect Skin – Complete Face & Body Cleansing System, $99.99
I had no idea what a difference using a spinning cleansing brush on my skin (especially my face) could have until I tried one. After each use, my skin is smooth, clean, and refreshed. Note: The picture above features the Exfoliating Facial Brush attachment.
Find it here: https://goo.gl/Yjah9M
ETEREAUTY Face and Body Cleansing System, $24.99
This set from Eterbeauty has similar features with five brush heads at a lower price point. It makes an excellent dupe for the Vanity Planet Spin for Perfect Skin.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2DXi6L1
- Cleanses and soothes skin
- Prevents breakouts (if it doesn’t strip the skin of moisture)
- Smoothes and moisturizes skin
Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser for All Skin Types, $15.18
This Cetaphil cleanser does an excellent job of cleansing my skin without stripping moisture. It’s a great addition to a day and night routine for most, if not all skin types. Note: The picture above is the travel size version.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2I8ukmF
- Replenishes moisture in the skin after cleansing
- Provides a dewy, fresh appearance upon application
- Can offer sun protection (if it contains SPF sunscreen)
Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with Broad Spectrum SPF 35 Sunscreen, $8.69
This Neutrogena moisturizer is a lifesaver for those with combination skin as it provides adequate (not excessive) moisture for naturally dry and oily skin. Plus, it contains sunscreen, making it easier to protect your skin from sun damage year round.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2I9lLIm
- Achieves smoother skin texture
- Reduces dark marks and hyperpigmentation
- Helps to prevent acne breakouts
DermaSafe No Break Out Exfoliating Cleansing Gel, $19.99
This exfoliating cleansing gel is gentle on the skin, because it contains fine granules. Exfoliators with large granules are too abrasive for your face, especially if you’re regularly exfoliating. Since I started using this product, I stopped breaking out frequently and the texture of my skin has remained soft and smooth.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2pJrFbv
African Black Soap
- Evens skin tone and enhances skin texture
- Treats acne, inflammation, eczema, psoriasis, and other skin irritations
- Provides deep cleansing with antibacterial and anti-fungal properties
Shea Moisture African Black Soap with Shea Butter, $3.49
Since using Shea Moisture’s African Black Soap, my breakouts have been under control. Another option is raw African Black Soap, which is more authentic (see below). Whichever you choose, I recommend using the soap for a few days then observing how your skin reacts to see if it is a good pick for you.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2pG2Aio
Neeka Naturals Raw African Black Soap with Shea Butter, $12.95
This African Black Soap has all-natural ingredients and is imported from Ghana.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2usVvGJ
Other Skin Care Essentials:
Acne and Pimple Spot Treatments
Tea Tree Oil
- Treats acne (kills bacteria and dries out pimples)
- Does not strip natural oils from the skin
- Heals cuts, scrapes, and bruises
Maple Holistics 100% Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil, $10.95
Tea tree oil is one of the most-effective acne spot treatments I’ve found. Unlike other spot treatment creams I’ve tried, the oil gets rid of pimples fast–without over drying the skin and leaving dark marks or scarring.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2DZBuqZ
- Treats acne by removing excess oil from skin as a natural astringent
- Refreshes the skin and seals moisture after cleansing
- Heals bruises, cuts, and scrapes
Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera, $6.99
This witch hazel by Thayers can be used as a toner. I’ve loved using witch hazel as a spot treatment for acne. Every time I apply it, I notice my skin improves over night.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2pGyECy
Hyperpigmentation and Dark Spot Treatments
Aloe Vera Gel
- Treats acne and inflammation with healing and anti-inflammatory properties
- Moisturizes skin without leaving it greasy
- Soothes and treats sunburn
Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel, $4.99
This aloe vera gel is my favorite option for a toner. Since it’s kept refrigerated, the gel cools the skin, and it leaves my face feeling refreshed. Also, it’s moisturizing and prevents my T-zone from looking shiny.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2IYajjP
- Repairs skin and reduces scarring
- Improves appearance of dark marks
- Softens and moisturizes dry, rough skin
Nature’s Bounty Vitamin E Softgels 180 mg Pure dl-Alpha, $24.03 (Pack of 3)
Using the Vitamin E oil from these softgels has significantly improved the appearance of my skin by evening my skin tone. It’s my go-to remedy to heal acne scars and dark marks.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2DXz1go
Daily Facial Peel
- Evens skin tone and smooths texture
- Reduces pores
- Easy and quick to use
Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Universal Daily Peel, $74.20 (30 Packets)
This at-home face peel has become a staple in my nighttime skin care routine. Over time, it has helped lighten dark marks on my face, and it controls any acne breakouts.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2IWgJQn
Easy Steps for My Effective Skin Care Routine:
Morning Skin Care Routine:
- Cleanse – I wash my skin using the Vanity Planet facial cleansing brush. First, I apply the Cetaphil Gentle Skin cleanser on the brush and apply it to my skin for about 10 seconds. After washing off the cleanser, I follow up with the DermaSafe No Break Out Exfoliating Cleansing Gel for a gentle exfoliation using the facial brush. I wash the gel off my face and get ready to moisturize.
- Moisturize – With clean hands, I follow up by applying the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture cream on my face. One pump typically does the trick to completely moisturize my skin.
Tip 1: When I use the Vanity Planet Skin for Perfect Skin Cleansing Brush to wash my face, I only use the Daily Cleansing Brush Head. The Exfoliating Facial Brush is a bit too harsh for my skin and dries it out.
Tip 2: The DermaSafe Exfoliating Cleansing Gel states it can be used for AM and PM. Since I use it morning and night, I try to cleanse for a short amount of time to avoid drying out my face.
Nighttime Skin Care Routine:
- Cleanse – To start off my cleansing routine, I use the Shea Moisture African Black Soap. I don’t use the brush for this step. Instead, I rub the soap into wet, clean hands then use my hands to apply it to my face. I leave the black soap on until it dries, then I wash it off. Next, I use the Vanity Planet spin brush to apply the DermaSafe Exfoliating Gel and wash that off.
- Optional: Face Peel – After my skin is clean and dry (no moisturizer yet), I apply the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Universal Daily Face Peel pads. Following the instructions, I apply the first pad (Exfoliate & Smooth) to my face and let it dry for two minutes, then I follow up with the second pad (Anti-Aging Neutralizer) and let it dry for two minutes.
- Toner – On dry and clean skin, I apply the Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel as a toner with a cotton ball or cotton pad. The Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel is also a great option for a toner.
- Moisturize – I moisturize with the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture.
- Optional: Dark Spot and Acne Treatment – For a dark spot treatment, I apply Vitamin E oil to any areas of hyperpigmentation on my face. With clean hands, I extract the oil from one Nature’s Bounty Vitamin E Softgel (you can pierce it open with a knife/fork or squeeze it open between your fingers) and apply it to my face using a finger. For acne treatment, I apply tea tree oil (diluted with a carrier oil) to any acne spots using a cotton swab. I also recommend applying diluted witch hazel for acne treatment as well.
Tip 3: If you’re starting to use the Dr. Dennis Gross Daily Face Peel, use it every other day until your skin becomes accustomed to it. I used it every other day for a week, then I began using it every day the following week.
Tip 4: See how your face reacts to any new combination of products. If your face feels tight after washing your face, a new product or combination is probably too harsh for your skin and is drying it out. This can cause your skin to produce more oil, leading to breakouts.
A list of these products can be found on my new Faves page!
**Please note: This is not a sponsored post. I purchased all the products on my own. These products include affiliate links with Amazon.com, and this does not change the price of any product. By purchasing products through these links, you help support running this platform!
To receive inspiring content on faith and lifestyle, follow LM on social media!