Wash day. As a natural hair girl, you either hate it or love it. Cleansing, deep conditioning, detangling, moisturizing, sealing, styling…there may be many steps in your kinky-curly hair routine, but of course, the results are worth it.
Whatever your feelings are, finding the right products for you can make the process wayy smoother and quicker.
Today, I’m sharing my favorite wash day products and current routine from start to finish! Keep reading for my mini product reviews below. Then, watch my YouTube video where I detail my entire routine.
Cheers to a wonderful wash day!
My Top Wash Day Products:
Shampoo / Cleanser
Cantu Shea Butter Apple Cider Vinegar Root Rinse (right) and Root Relief (left)
Cantu Apple Cider Vinegar Root Rinse, $12.49
If you struggle with dry, brittle hair, this cleanser is for you! The Apple Cider Vinegar Root Rinse is part of Cantu’s Apple Cider Vinegar line and provides a gentle scalp detox to aid healthy hair growth. Plus, it cleanses and conditions hair without stripping moisture. I especially love the nozzle attachment feature; I’m able to reach my scalp and finish cleansing in no time. (Bye, bye, ordinary shampoo.)
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2JB3d8J
(Find the Cantu Apple Cider Vinegar Root Relief here: https://amzn.to/2taOkPu)
MAXSOFT Hair Scalp Massage Shampoo Brush, $7.98
Say hello to a more effective way to clean your hair. Using a scalp brush has been a game-changer in my cleansing routine. This shampoo brush from MAXSOFT has soft, silicone bristles that provide a gentle massage that stimulates blood flow to the scalp, encouraging new hair growth. Plus, it helps clean areas of my scalp I normally can’t reach.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2MsVEPs
Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Recipes Fix My Hair Intensive Repair Conditioning Masque, $9.99
This deep conditioner from Aunt Jackie’s is ideal for thirsty hair that can handle a thick masque. When I used this product for the first time, I noticed my hair was significantly softer and shinier. If your hair needs a boost of moisture or a bit of damage repair, this deep conditioner could be the best fix for you!
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2Ms9QYY
Macadamia Natural Oil Moisturizing Rinse, $24.99
Need an easy detangler? This conditioner from Macadamia Natural Oil does the trick for me! Containing macadamia and argan oils, the rinse moisturizes the hair and has a good slip. It glides through my hair easily and keeps it manageable before I style. The price is a bit higher, but at a hefty 33.8 fluid ounces, I think it’s worth it.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2Ms9EsP
Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner (Travel Size)
Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner, $10.44
After washing your natural hair, the Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner ensures your hair stays hydrated. I love spritzing this before I moisturize on wash day or any time my curls need a refresh. This leave-in conditioner is light yet replenishes moisture and adds softness before I style my hair.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2JBlvH8
EDEN BodyWorks Coconut Shea Natural Curl Defining Creme, $7.99
The EDEN BodyWorks Natural Curl Defining Creme is my go-to product when my hair needs a lot of moisture. It’s thick, creamy, and has plenty of moisture-rich ingredients like aloe vera and shea butter. It works really well on freshly washed, damp hair. It defines and helps to elongate my curls. (Great if you deal with shrinkage like me!) No flake, no buildup. Soft and shiny results.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2MsaoOD
Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love Moisture Milk, $13.97
The Curl Love Moisture Milk moisturizes and conditions your hair. My favorite feature about this product is its natural ingredients; perfect for those with sensitive skin, this moisturizing cream includes natural oils, butters, milks, and more. If your hair gets weighed down easily by heavy, thick creams, this lightweight moisturizer might be the right fit for you!
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2sX5tNx
Curls Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly, $15.99
I love using the Curls Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly as a gel to slick down my hair. This jelly works wonders on wet or damp hair and leaves a beautiful, sleek shine when it dries. After moisturizing, this jelly keeps my hair set, and it has a nice consistency. (It’s not super sticky!) The Curl Control Jelly is an awesome option to use when styling a twist-out, braid-out, or wash-n-go. Basically whenever.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2JDxx2L
Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil, $7.99
Jamaican Black Castor Oil…Where to begin? With key ingredients like vitamin E and omega fatty acids, Jamaican Black Castor Oil stimulates amazing hair growth by strengthening hair follicles and keeping the scalp moisturized. In addition to applying this to my scalp, I apply the oil to my hair strands after moisturizing and styling to seal all the moisture in. Please note: This oil is thick! Make sure you’re light-handed when applying the product, or you’ll end up with build up.
Find it here: https://amzn.to/2l7ZEsb
My Wash Day Routine Steps:
(All these products can be found on my Favorites page.)
- Cleanse – I begin cleansing by wetting my hair only with warm water. Then, I cleanse with the Cantu Apple Cider Vinegar Root Rinse, applying the product directly to my scalp. I work the product through and massage my scalp using a scalp brush and rinse the product out.
- Deep condition – After sectioning my hair (anywhere from 2 to 4 large sections), I generously apply the Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Recipes Fix My Hair Intensive Repair Conditioning Masque. I twist my hair after applying the product to each section, then I cover my hair with a plastic cap and leave on for 30 minutes to an hour. Afterwards, I rinse out the product.
- Detangle – Keeping my hair in sections, I detangle using the Macadamia Natural Oil Moisturizing Rinse. To detangle, I take down one section at a time, and I comb the product through my hair either by finger detangling or by using a wide tooth comb. As I detangle, I also run water through my hair, washing out the conditioning rinse.
- Moisturize – Once I’m done washing my hair, I pat each section dry using a microfiber towel. One section at a time, I spritz my hair with Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner Spray. Then, I follow up with my favorite moisturizer. For a strong hold, I use the EDEN BodyWorks Coconut Shea Natural Curl Defining Creme, which I apply liberally to each strand. For days when I want a lighter hold, I use the Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love Moisture Milk.
- Gel – After I’ve applied a moisturizer to all sections, I prepare to style and set my hair. I use the Curls Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly as a gel, making sure to coat my edges and any fly-aways. For sleek results, I smooth the product in with a soft boar bristle brush.
- Seal in the moisture – Finally, I’m ready to style my hair (i.e. twisting or braiding my hair depending on the look I’m going for). I make sure to coat my strands with an oil as I twist or braid each section to ensure the moisture will hold as my hair dries. For extra shine and moisture, I go with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. For a stronger hold, I go with a light application of Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
**Please note: This is not a sponsored post. I purchased all the products on my own. These products include affiliate links with Amazon.com, and this does not change the price of any product. By purchasing products through these links, you help support running this platform!
To receive inspiring content on faith and lifestyle, follow LM on social media!